I often get asked "what do you think is coming in Update 5?". As of the Update 4 release and some observations I've made over time watching dev streams I think the greater questions are "how many updates are remaining?" and "when will 1.0 come out".
Here's the bottom line folks, CSS have set a date for the 1.0 release and they are actively working towards that release. The remaining updates will provide minimal new content and focus on polishing, bug fixing and delivering the story. My predicted release dates are:
- Update 5 October 2021
- Update 6 April 2022
- 1.0 Release December 2022 / January 2023
Anything in Tier 5/6 and before is now complete and set in stone. Don't expect any more balance changes. Don't expect any more machines / alternate recipes for things down at that level, like an iron ingot recipe in the blender.
So where's the evidence for my prediction?
One of the most recent updates from the Community Managers is the "Quick Update on State of Development".
Let's have a look at that list along with all other confirmed and not-confirmed coming content.
- Build modes
- Build mechanics
- Optimization and bug fixes, includes fixes for multiplayer
Not specific to Update 5:
- Dedicated Servers
- Train collision/signaling system
- Different Game Modes
- World Update
The remaining information has been obtained via the weekly dev streams on Twitch, these are:
- Story mode (1.0)
- Mercer Sphere (1.0 ?)
- Somersloop (1.0 ?)
- Project Assembly (1.0)
- Crab Boss
- S.A.M. Ore
- Additional Gases
- New parts that are required to open drop pods to collect hard drives (Quantum Computer) (Superposition Oscillator)
- Mk. 6 conveyor belts
- Official mod support
- Improvements to programmable splitter
- Controller support
Not-confirmed but have been considered:
- Dams / Water Power Generators
- Making use of poison gas rocks
- Another yearly event, perhaps Halloween
- Global grid
- Jetpack update that allows you to select a fuel type from your inventory
- Character clothing / colour customisation
- Attachment to tractor to collect biomass
- Allowing more than 16 colors
Predictions / Assumptions
- Teleportation machine (the description of the Superposition Oscillator part [available via Ficsmas update] mentions teleporting technology)
- No other machines will come in the game, the Manufacturer, Blender and Particle Accelerator will be what make the final products
- More aesthetic building pieces (hopefully update 5)
- Lake Shark to be re-introduced
- Leaf Bug to be re-introduced
Lets not forget things we've told wont' be in the game (perhaps they are coming)
- Gravity affected / structural buildings
- VR support
- Wind generators
- Solar Panels
- Ships / marine vehicles
Whats after the 1.0 release? I expect that within 6 months of release the maintenance of the game will be handed over to another team and they will be responsible for future content like a DLC map. Hannah once tweeted that she's spent most of her twenties working on Satisfactory. The majority of the team working on the project want to see it reach a 1.0 release so they can move on to new projects and ideas.
It's my opinion that the modding community will be responsible for custom maps and these are what will extend the life of the game for many years to come, along with the already massive amount of mods available.
Quick Update on State of Development on Steam.
The Q&A Clips YouTube channel can verify all the references I have made to future content.
- Early Access 19 March 2019
- Update 1 May 14 2019
- Update 2 July 2 2019
- Update 3 March 11 2020
- Steam Release June 8 2020
- Fluid Update November 10 2020
- Ficsmas Update December 1 2020
- Update 4 April 12 2021